From July 1957 the NSWGR began to take delivery of 100 Alco World Series DL-500B locomotives. Built in 3 batches (4401 to 4460 {Mk1}, 4461 to 4480 {Mk2} and 4481 to 44100 {Mk3}). In their heyday, these locomotives operated every type of mainline passenger and freight service.
44 class locomotives are used on many of our mainline tours.

4486 entered service in May 1967 and was withdrawn in 1994.It was restored in 1995 and has been a regular performer since.

4486 has carried 5 livery variations since being restored, most recently it has
had silver paint applied to its pilots to recreate its appearance when
allocated to western region working.

4486 is owned by the Lachlan Alco Locomotive group